Beach Camping on Miyagi Island

00:59

So since our last camping trip to Kouri Island, I was hesitant to try it again, but I have to say, last weekend, we had camping success!


Thanks to a tip from a friend, we ventured to Miyagi Island (insert Karate Kid joke here...) to find a secluded beach they had camped on before. We packed up the car with anything we could possibly need and headed out! It took close to an hour to get there from our place, but we also stopped on the way for snacks and supplies at a couple of conbinis on the way.

Ready for the drive!
family selfie!


When we finally found the beach, we were actually surprised to see we weren't the only people there with the same idea. There was a bunch of people starting to set up their campsite in the particular spot my friend had told us about, so we headed over to the other side of the beach next to the cliff and decided to set up our tent there. Thankfully the tent set up took maybe 30 minutes compared to at least an hour the last time, and once we had it up, we were able to get some shade, as well as go in for a swim!

As the afternoon went on, the campers over the other side of the island got larger (I think there were at least 3 tents) and we also got another camper setting up behind us and another group in the middle of the beach. Even though this beach was obviously not as "secret" as I thought, it was still fantastic and there was plenty of room for everyone!

Although the beach on Miyagi island was relatively small, it was large enough to be away from the other campers at the other end of the beach and not be disturbed by their music, and the water was lovely! There were butterflies flying around everywhere and big rocks for G to climb on.

All set up :)

Beautiful Miyagi Island, Okinawa


low tide
So in love with our tent!


As the sun started to set, it got quite chilly, so I was glad we brought warm clothes. We cooked tofu burgers for dinner and toasted marshmallows on our fire when it got dark. The sky was so clear, that when I woke at 3am and went outside I could see the Milky Way! It was gorgeous and made me wish I had a camera able to capture it!

We eventually woke around 6am, and got up to make coffee and just watch the ocean out the front of our tent, before the water just became too tempting and we went in for another swim. We were debating whether to stay and camp for a second night, but i'm glad we decided to pack up and drive home after lunch. It was such a relaxing and lovely experience, but I just can't get a good sleep when we camp, and I was exhausted by the time we got home. I can only imagine how tired I would have been after 2 nights!

All in all, i'm so glad we made the decision to go camping again! Even though I never get much sleep, it was better than last time, and the beach was so much nicer! I keep reminding myself that I would never be able to camp ON THE BEACH in Australia, so I need to make the most of these opportunities while I can.





That face <3


Miyagi Island in Okinawa, has some gorgeous beaches and blue water. Why not bring a tent and try camping on the beach! It's the experience of a lifetime!
Does it get any prettier than this?
Rock climbing
Pin it for later:
Miyagi Island in Okinawa, has some gorgeous beaches and blue water. Why not bring a tent and try camping on the beach! It's the experience of a lifetime!

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. I love Miyagi (and all of the islands beyond as well)! I didn't know there was camping available out there, I definitely want to check that out! Your dog's face is adorable, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meaghan! It's not an official camp site, just a beach that people seem to like for camping. No bathrooms around or anything! So beautiful though :)

      Delete
  2. How do I find this beach?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista Ritter8 May 2019 at 03:26

    Can you provide a pin drop for the beach??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's here https://goo.gl/maps/6nHWXxyKjNb2xxrY9

      Delete
  4. You can camp on any beach that doesn't say you can't. The more North you go the more freedom you have. This site is now a weekly race to get to before it gets crowded and at night falls it's normal for drunk party goers to show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can imagine it must get busier and busier. Sounds like I would avoid it if I was still in Okinawa now and look for somewhere more secluded... Thanks for the update John

      Delete